MDF-ESA is the regional training & consultancy provider of MDF Training & Consultancy (MDF, www.mdf.nl) covering the Eastern and Southern African Market. MDF and MDF-ESA work to strengthen the management capacities of people and organisations. We enable projects & programmes, professionals, organisations, partnerships & networks to achieve sustainable results and results that matter for a better world. We do this because we are convinced that people who continue to develop themselves are best equipped to make a sustainable difference towards more equitable societies.
The main role of the position is to:
a) Acquire assignments and generate work for him/herself and other colleagues, and b) Execute, manage and lead training, consultancy, and project management services to our clients.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
Acquisition of work
- Identify, follow-up and respond to training & consultancy opportunities with clients in the Eastern and Southern African region.
- Analyse and understand clients request for service via an existing terms of reference/request for proposal and/or direct contact via phone, intake meetings (visits) and or email.
- Steer the proposal writing process together with the project team.
- Come-up with strategies and write how you would approach the assignment i.e. methodological approach, methods used, workplan, budget, team composition etc.
- Acquire assignments for MDF-ESA within the MDF network.
- Represent MDF during functions and participate in formal and informal gatherings in order to build a network of clients and partners.
Execution of work
- Execute consultancies, open entry and tailor-made training assignments in the core competencies as identified above. We are particularly looking for expertise in project planning & formulation, monitoring, and conducting external evaluations, as well as organisational development and capacity building expertise.
- Take the lead and steer a team of 2 to 5 colleagues/partners during execution of assignments.
- Maintain client contact during execution and contracting of assignments i.e. process management. Be the focal person for the client.
- Lead the report writing process and assure report quality.
- Maintain client and partner relationships.
Competencies looking for:
- Management expertise within projects, programmes, teams or organisations i.e. steering people, client management, financial management, knowledge management.
- Strong writing skills of proposals and reports i.e. clear, to-the-point, in-depth, proper English, in time, understanding client needs.
- Strong data collection, analysis and processing skills i.e. data gathering via interviews, focus-group discussions, check-lists and analysing situations, documents, data sheets.
- Previous consultancy and advisory expertise, individually or as part of an organization/firm.
- Strong participatory training and presentation skills/expertise. Comfortable to stand in front of and guide a group (4-25 people) with international character.
- Maintaining client relationships and networking.
- Service- and client oriented.
- Pro-active/take initiative, business driven, professional, cosmopolitan attitude.
- Team player, flexible, goes the extra mile, not a 9 to 5 mentality.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) on regional and international level via email, phone and face-to-face i.e. respectful, business oriented, broad vocabulary, understanding culture and customs.
- Work independently, be and take responsibility to the team and clients, practical approach.
- Can deal with productivity and turnover targets.
- International and EAC or SADC working expertise.
- Capable to handle administrative, modern communication and knowledge management technologies – Microsoft Word and Excel, Novell Filr, Adobe, PiktoChart, Skype, LinkedIn and more.
- Fluent in English on an international standard.
- Portuguese or French language is an advantage but not compulsory.
- Interested to learn and improve.
- Interest in management for development.
- 10-15 years of working experience in an international context.
- Background in service oriented positions i.e. business, advisory, international programme management.
- Regional and international working experience.
- Education level Master degree or equivalent in (international) business management, social studies, international development and or relations, international trade etc.
The vacancy is open for all residents with eligible work permits in Kenya. However, Kenyans and EAC nationals who reside in Kenya are favoured to apply.
Interested and fitting the profile?
Please send your motivation letter (max 1. page) and CV (outlining responsibilities and results achieved) to email@example.com before February 6th 2017. An online presentation of you via YouTube or Vimeo would be accepted/ encouraged as well.
Please note that only candidates who sufficiently fit the above profile will be considered. Interviews will start in the third week of February 2017.
A two step assessment and reference check will be part of the recruitment process.
The position is from Monday to Friday (40hrs+ a week) and will start on 1st March 2017.